Sunday, December 29, 2013

2014 Goals

This morning Robb and I taught high school Sunday School. Over the last year we've been team teaching almost every other week and it's been one of the best things about 2013. It's allowed me to get to know my youth group kids on a bit of a deeper level and I hope it's allowed them to know me a bit better.

Today we did something a little different. I had printed out sheets of "2014 Goals" and we had them fill them out. I won't share their answers, but they were all good. These kids are smarter and more grounded than I was in high school for sure. And I love it!

As I was putting all this together I got to thinking about new year's resolutions and how it seems like we're always setting ourselves up for failure. That we put all these HUGE expectations on ourselves at the beginning of the year and then 30 days later we're looking around and our "resolutions" are nowhere to be found. So how do we fix this? How do we quit walking into the new year feeling like we can concur the world and then get to February and already be back in our old ways feeling like a failure. Honestly I don't know but I feel like breaking our resolutions down into small categories could help. And that's where the worksheet I gave the kids today comes in.

So here are the questions and my answers:

  • A bad habit I'm going to break: Negative self talk. I'm much much harder on myself than anyone is on me. It's a battle I have to win. It's not good for me. 
  • A new skill I'd like to learn: Something crafty and creative. Not sure what this looks like yet...
  • A good deed I'm going to do regularly: Compliment people more. Tell people how much I love them. 
  • A place I'd like to visit: I'd like to go on some weekend hiking trips. And I really want to go to the Chattanooga Aquarium and the Atlanta Aquarium. 
  • A book I'd like to read: There are a ton of books I would love to read. I'm going to be doing the   Empty Shelf Challenge so that will get me through a lot of books. Lindsay said I need an entire empty bookshelf... Which knowing me is probably what will happen. 
  • A new food I'd like to try: This is a tough one because I'll pretty much try any exotic food that is put in front of me. So I guess my new food would be new and delicious ways to cook vegetables. 
  • I'm going to be better at: Being transparent with those around me. Drop the facade and be real and genuine with everyone I encounter, not just those people I trust most. 
  • My biggest goal for 2014: Do what makes me happy. Focus on me and not worry so much about the future. Live in the present which means focus on one day at a time. Be healthy. Move more. 
I think these are all doable goals. And I think if I focus on these goals 2014 will be a great year. 

Do you believe in resolutions? How do you accomplish them?

I'd love to see in the comments everyone's resolutions or goals for 2014!

Signed: Bring it on 2014!!! I'm ready for you! 

1 comment:

  1. They serve excellent pizza and wings. Some of the best pizza in the area. They have 2 locations. One location is in O’Fallon IL and the other is right outside Scott AFB.





    Address: 711 W Hwy 50 O’Fallon, IL, 62269

    Phone: (618) 726-2275

    business email: brittany.flament@yahoo.com

    Learn more: FlamentCo's The Place

    ReplyDelete